Brats & Beer-Basted Potato Salad with Brothers Craft Brewing Company Lil' Hellion
This German dish has Virginian flare in all the right places. Beef brats are an American mainstay for home cookouts, and the beer-basted potato salad will rival Aunt Sarah's. Muted German hops add a subtle depth that compliments the soft, malty sweetness and unbelievably clean finish that define the Helles, a refreshing golden lager that is sure to satisfy with every sip.
- 1 hour 15 minutes
- Makes 6 servings
- 100% Beef Brats
- Brat Buns (optional)
- For Beer-Basted Potato Salad:
- 2 pounds small red or golden potatoes
- 3 slices hardwood-smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2/3 cup Brothers Lil' Hellion Beer
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- For Garnish:
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
1. Boil potatoes in salted water until soft, approximately 20 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes, then peel, slice into rounds, and add to bowl. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in skillet until crispy. Remove back and set aside. Reserve 2 Tbsp bacon fat in pan, add onions and sauté until clear.
2. Add Brothers Craft Brewing Company Lil' Hellion beer, vinegar, and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Slowly whisk in mustard and oil. Pour warm mixture over potato rounds and marinate at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare brats on grill over medium heat until they reach 160°F. Tip: Do not puncture brats while grilling, use tongs to retain juiciness. Serve with beer-basted potato salad, slightly warm, topped with bacon and garnishes.